Delhi University: History Dept Writes To VC Against Open Book Exam, Propose Alternatives

333

New Delhi: The History Department has joined the legion of sociology and economics teachers against Delhi University’s online Open Book Exams (OBE). 

Faculty members of the Department of History wrote to the DU Vice Chancellor Yogesh Tyagi condemning the move and proposing alternatives to OBE.

The Combined Committee of Courses (CCoC) for Post Graduate (PG) and Under Graduate (UG) honours courses and programmes of the Department of History held a meeting on May 19 via Zoom. They discussed the written responses received from numerous PG History students regarding online OBE and also discussed alternative modes to grade students.

Citing technological obstacles, economic hardships, dislocation of students and/or their families, and the challenging environment in many households, the CoC has said that OBE is sought for a different module, unlike this one.

“Moreover, many students are stranded, away from their notes, reading material and even the minimum required stationery for an OBE,” the committee said.

Therefore, the committee has suggested some alternatives that should be considered instead of online/offline OBE. 

“Whereas for PG students in the fourth semester, an average of the marks of the previous three semesters can be taken for the 75% marks, the remaining 25% can be the internal evaluation of the fourth semester,” the committee said.

Also Read: Low Connectivity, Cheating Issues Likely To Impact DU Open Book Exams, Say Economics Teachers

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.