File Reply On Petition Seeking Cancellation Of Compartment Exams By September 7: SC To CBSE
New Delhi: The Supreme Court (SC) of India ordered the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) to file an affidavit on students’ petition seeking cancellation of compartment exams. The compartment exams will be held in the last week of September. The SC has also asked the CBSE to explain how it intends to hold the exams in the time of COVID-19 pandemic.
The three-judge bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar, Justice Dinesh Maheshwari and Justice Sanjiv Khanna has deferred the hearing to September 10 in the same case.
According to the petitioner’s argument, “The students will ultimately come in the category of failed students since exams will not be able to be conducted by September and the students will not be able to apply for further studies. The main grievance in the matter is that the main exam and the CBSE have not yet asserted why the compartment exam cannot be canceled,” reported NDTV.
Petitioners also said that “Admissions in Universities will close by the time the exams are conducted.”
Advocate Rupesh Kumar, arguing in favour of CBSE, said, “We have increased the centres for compartment exams to 1278. We have taken a decision that in a class where 40 students could sit, now only 12 will sit. We are taking all precautions.”
However, CBSE has told the SC that it is likely to hold compartment exams for students of Class X and XII by September end and the examination centres have been increased to 1278.