New Delhi: The Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri on Thursday jointly inaugurated the Urban Learning Internship Programme (TULIP) to provide internship opportunities to thousands of fresh graduates and engineers of the country under the ‘Smart City’ projects.
The All India Council For Technical Education (AICTE) has developed the TULIP portal.
What it entails:
- Students will get to work for 100 smart cities under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development.T
- There are a total of 295,200 internships under 23,970 companies.
“We expect that around 25,000 fresh graduates will be enrolled in its first year. This will help curb unemployment as well. The interns will be selected for a period of one year,” Hardeep Singh Puri was quoted as saying in Hindustan Times.
“Currently, there are 80 lakh students studying in various engineering colleges of India. These graduates will get internship opportunities in various departments under the housing and urban development ministry. In the near future, we will provide opportunities to over 1 crore students. I suggest other ministries also to come forward and collaborate with TULIP to provide internship in their departments,” said HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
Who are eligible:
Students with a degree of B. Tech, B planning, B. Arch, BA, BSc, BCom, LLB.
Salient features of TULIP:
Applicants will be able to:
Showcase diverse skills
Choose roles to be offered
Decide stipend and logistics
Decide terms of engagement
TULIP interns will get exposure in:
Urban planning urban design, different branches of engineering, information and technology, mobility, finance, social sector issues and environmental issues.
The programme will provide them with:
- Insight into policy formulation and implementation.
- They will interact with city officials/ members of the civil society on a day-to-day basis.
- They will be oriented towards best practices, knowledge sharing and project implementation on ground.
- The interns will carry with them a rich experience in urban governance, which will help them in their future endeavours.
How to register for Urban Local Bodies under TULIP portal
Click on the “Register” button on the top right corner of the screen.
Click on the “Register” option under “Government Agency” tab displayed on the screen.
Fill the details in the form and upload the logo (ULB/ smart city) and appointment certificate (of concerned authority).
Click on the “Register” tab at the end of the form to complete the registration process on the portal.
- Short-term exposure to fresh graduates to enhance their professional development through experiential learning with ULBs and smart cities.
- Harnessing fresh energy and ideas towards ULBs and smart cities endeavours to solve critical challenges.
- Open only to Indian citizens.
- Not more than 18 months should have passed from the date of declaration of final year results to the date from which the internship is sought.
Duration and extension of engagement:
The duration of the internship will be a minimum of 8 weeks up to 1 year.
Stipend and other allowances:
Amount of stipend/subsistence allowance/expenses would be payable at the discretion of the ULB/ smart city and there shall be no liability of providing any employment on the ULB or smart city, whatsoever.
- Interns shall bring laptops/ mobile internet connectivity/ other devices etc. as needed by them.
- The interns shall normally arrange their own boarding/lodging/ transport to and from their place of stay to the place of internship.
- However, the ULB/smart city may reimburse transport/travel expenses incurred by the intern during the course of any assignment, which shall be at the sole discretion of the ULB/smart city.
- The ULB/smart city may, however if they so decide, support the interns, in whatever way they may deem fit, with resources essential for completion of the assignment as per their discretion.
Certificate of Internship
A digitally signed and shareable certificate regarding successful completion of internship shall be issued jointly by MoHUA, State Government, AICTE and the ULB/smart city.